A few months ago I started emailing friends, and friends of friends because I had a few New Years Resolutions that needed to be fulfilled. Specifically the read more books item.
It was a little nerve wracking, but I managed to enlist a few friends to gather random people off the street and force them to join my book club.
And now we've officially had three book club meetings that have gone smashingly!
Everyone brings a snack or a bottle of wine. And we actually talk about the book. (This is a big surprise for all the husbands and boyfriends, who think we just go to drink the wine. We also talk about lots of other random things, but we do talk about the book.)
And a happy coincidence of the book club is getting to check another resolution off my list... making new friends. (By the way, we didn't litterally drag them off the street.) But there were lots of friends who brought friends and now I'm making new friends. *Smiley sigh* like I'm in third grade.
At our first meeting we didn't read a book, we just got together and decided what books to read. (You've probably noticed them on the sidebar?) We have an ecclectic group of gals who are into a little bit of everything. This is not your "bestseller" book club, or beach read book club (although there are some of both of those in there). So in case you care... here's our book club list for the rest of the year and a few months into next year.
But even better, I suggest you start your own book club. Oh, and a PS if you want to start up your own, I got lots of "Heather, Book Clubs are for old ladies" replies, but they are all converts now.
So go out and start your own something or other! Or at least tell me what you think of the books?

2 comments:
Good list! Our book club has read quite the variety over the last few years... from political to Pride & Predjudice to religious... you name it. It always makes for some VERY stimulating conversation!
My girlfriend just recommended "The China Study" She said if you wanna go greener, healthier and organic you must read this book. I bought it at amazon today and I can't wait to get my hands on it or should I say my eyes!! Here is more info about it www.shelfari.com/books/79073/The-China-Study-The-Most-Comprehensive-Study-of-Nutrition-Ever-C/shouldiread
A great book that you may like is "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho. I think it is the perfect book to read and comment on in a book club! He is one of my favorite authors!!
http://www.shelfari.com/books/38291/The-Alchemist
Liza
Post a Comment